Tuesday 8 April 2014

Chapter 59 - What goes round comes around

The window on the drivers side shattered, my eyes struggled to focus.
Mara was stood outside of the car with a rifle in her hand.... I took in everything around me, I was covered in blood, but it was not my own, I then looked at the drivers side and to Dot who was slumped over the steering wheel, the gun still held loosely in her hand.
The car was pulled up right outside a diner and people had gathered at the windows inside and were watching as everything unfolded. They must of witnessed it all.
Finding my voice I spoke, "Mara, how?, I mean where?, shit, where did you get the rifle, how did you get out of the trunk?"
She was trembling and shaking, " oh god what have I done?" unbuckling my belt I opened my door and climbed out and walked round to Mara, first thing I did was take the rifle from her hands; and laid it on the ground, she did not fight me and stood in a trance completely frozen in fear of what she had done.
"Hey come here,"
taking her into my arms I tried to soothe her nerves, I stroked her back and kissed her over and over on her head as she relaxed into me with her head on my chest.
"I guess I owe you for saving my life again"
she looked up at me, tears falling from her eye's
" at what cost though, I've killed the kids mom, oh Jon, what have I done? I'll go to jail, this is the last thing I wanted..... but when...."
"sssh, it'll be ok, you acted in self defence, babe it's gonna be fine"
" you think so, look," she pointed at Dorothea's lifeless body slumped over the wheel,  "she's dead, I killed her"
"I know, but trust me ok,  remember witnesses saw the erratic driving and Claudette saw Dot at the hospital, I'm sure she knew something was wrong."
" Yeah and those people saw me shoot Dot...this is a mess Jon a total mess" she laid her head back into my chest and started to sob again. I carried on soothing her as best as I could,
" trust me, I am right, you'll see."
In the distance I could hear sirens, and as they got closer they got louder. I guessed someone in the diner had called them, time to face up to what had happened although, I really was not sure myself.
 
The squad car pulled up a few feet from the SUV, the cops  jumped out and took the stance and pointed their firearms at us.
"hands above your heads, walk away from the vehicle"  I wanted to try to explain, but it would be of no use now, it was safer to do as we were instructed.   
Mara looked at me, as we raised our hands and began the walk towards the officer.
As we neared the cops partner went over to the SUV and checked on Dot.
And we were grabbed and cuffed and placed in the back of the squad car.
 
looking out of the window, we watched the scene before us as the cops spoke to witnesses that had been in the diner at the time of the shooting, we watched as they tended to Dorothea.
An ambulance arrived and Dorothea was taken from the SUV and driven away with sirens blasting.
Mara was the first to speak, 
" she's alive? " I allowed the events to sink in and my eye's to transmit the data to my brain before I spoke, 
"I guess so, or they would have sent the meat wagon"
"Then I didn't kill her?"
"I guess not."
I was still trying to figure how Mara had escaped the trunk,
" can I ask how did you get out of the trunk? and where did the rifle come from?" 
"When Dot pulled up so sharp, the trunk popped, she was ranting at you, with daylight in the trunk as I was getting out I saw the rifle sticking out of the blanket it was wrapped in, I did not think I just grabbed it and after getting out of the trunk, I walked around to the drivers window, all I was gonna do is scare her with it, I promise you.... but when I saw her pull back on the gun she  had in her hand and I just reacted the same and aimed and fired......  you know the rest..... "
"So, it was in the car?"
"Yeah, I thought it was yours?"
"No way?, I would never have a rifle, I hate guns, you know that....... it was wrapped in a blanket?"
"Yeah a red and green plaid style"
"Well as god is my witness I have no idea how that got into the trunk, "
"Hey, I believe you..." Mara looked at me and smiled, I smiled back and held her hand, and remained silent until the cops came back and got into the car, they did not speak to us and just looked back to check we were still where they had put us, before they started the engine and drove at speed to the police precinct. 
 
We arrived ten minutes later, Mara was taken out first and then me, I was pushed roughly into the foyer and front desk,
"What ya got there Callaghan?"
"Shooter Serge"
"you know who you got there don't ya?"
"I've just told ya,"
"But you have no idea who this guy is?"
the cops temper was wearing short, "No I have no fucking idea why?"
"that's Jon Bon Jovi?"
"Who?"
"Aw right, your to young to remember the best rock band of the eighties?"
"no, I remember alright, my dad had the records, but this guy don't look anything like him?"
"well have you asked him his name?"
sheepishly the cop faced me and asked,
" what's your name?" 
"Jon Bongiovi"
"Yeah right, now your real name."
"That is my real name, my full name is John Francis Bongiovi."
"Ok, smart ass, enough, bad enough he's ribbing on me, tell me the truth."
"I am telling you the truth, check my id in my wallet, my drivers license is there."
I was turned around and my wallet pulled from my jeans pocket, he opened it up and saw that I was telling the truth.
"So what? am I suppose to not do my job cause you are some has been rock star? you have committed a crime."
"No sir, you assume I have committed a crime. what happened to innocent before being proven guilty? "
 
 
 

5 comments:

  1. hhhmmm They did a lot of things wrong. No reading of Miranda rights for one..... They were put in the same car. Guilty until proven innocent??? Oh this is going to be a nightmare for the police dept. Jon make your one call a good one!!! Looking forward to the next chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well spotted Teri, things are gonna get hot! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. HA HA SHAWNA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey Ellen this is my story its not Shawna's, just mine, shot is a double run story hun! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a private joke between the two of us hon. It' doesn't matter I would of put the comment in any story that Shawna read! She knows what I mean! And I can't say because I always get yelled at when I mention it out loud or write it on the message boards!

      Delete