Friday 22 May 2015

Chapter Eighty

The day after the wedding I awoke at stupid o'clock, I looked across to my wife sleeping peacefully next to me. I laid looking at her for ages, studying every line of her face, which to me was perfection, she looked like an angel as she slept.
If I'm honest, I had not slept well, and the phone call from my pop begging me to go see him this morning before we left on honeymoon had not helped.
Swinging my legs over the edge of the bed, I eased my body up and out, without waking Mara, I grabbed my dressing gown from the foot of the bed and managed to make it out to the hallway.

Walking quietly I made my way down to the breakfast nook, looking at the clock on the wall the time was 4.35am, with the moonlight streaming through the window I made my way to the coffee pot and switched it on, then resting my hands on the counter top I waited and stood thinking.

What was it that my mom had been so afraid of with my pop?, and what was his breakdown about? In the past, not being invited to any of my events would not have phased him in the slightest, why this time?.
I had agreed to go see him before we left for Europe, given I had the Jovi Jet booked for ten am, my visit would be short.

Thankfully my ma had agreed she would stay at the house, and make it ready for the sale for when we returned, we were going to be vacationing in Uk for a month, Mara had always wanted to visit and I was meeting with a film director regarding a movie being made in England, I was being offered the leading role. The most it would take up out of our schedule would be two days. I hadn't mentioned it to Mara yet, but knowing how supportive she was I knew it wouldn't be a problem.

Drinking my coffee, my mind was playing everything over, I didn't hear my mom come downstairs, or come into the breakfast nook.
She slid her arms around my waist, "Penny for them?"
"whoa, damn.." I spilled my coffee as I jumped, "mom, what are you doing up?"
"Same as you it seems, I couldn't sleep"
I turned so my back was resting on the counter top, my ma was now stood over on the other side.
"why mom?, you know far more than you have let on... would you like to share with me?"
"I don't know Jon, what I've been told, well, lets leave it till you return from your vacation."  she made to move to leave and go back to bed, "Please ma, I did everything you asked, you promised you'd tell me after the wedding, don't you think you owe me the truth as to what the fuck was going on?"
she breathed a deep sigh, then moving to the chairs, she sat herself down at the breakfast bar. she patted the seat next to her for me to join her.
I sat and waited, "Oh boy this is hard, and it is seriously going to affect the relationship you have with your pop..."
"ma, there's no love lost between us, how can it get any worse?"
my ma looked at me gravely, "Oh it can son, and it will.... before I tell you, I need you to be one hundred percent sure you want me to tell you?"
"ma, stop stalling, just tell me already."
taking her third deep breath in minutes she replied, "OK, here goes..."
"Your dad came to see me three weeks ago, he was stinking drunk and in a terrible state, all he was talking about was coming to your wedding, then he started rambling about making things right for D and getting revenge..."
"go on.."
" I asked him what he meant by that comment, he sneered at me, and mockingly pointed his finger while swaggering around...what he told me next sent shivers down my spine..."
"Yeah..." I was getting impatient, "he told me that him and D had been having an affair together and everything that had happened to you and Mara was all his brain child..."
"What?"
"he told me that he was responsible for the fire, and for everything that had happened to you, he was jealous of you and D, he wanted her, so he told me he visited one night to console her after you two had yet another spat. he found her crying, the kids were staying over with you and Mara I think, anyways, D kept telling your pop how much she loved you and how she wanted you back, he instigated the meeting with her re your kids, and what she did to you in the bedroom the night you were drunk, then when you got more involved with Mara he set up the fire..."
"but D's mom was responsible, "no that's just it she wasn't' your pop was, she agreed to take the heat so your pop and D could carry on trying to hurt you both."
"wait a minute are you saying my pop was trying to kill me and Mara?"
she nodded her head, "but the most awful part is, now D has died, he is still hell bent on revenge, he told me when he came to the wedding he was gonna cause a scene and kill Mara first and you next... Baby, that's why I didn't want him at your wedding..."
I sat in silence, stunned to be hearing what my ma had told me. Our living nightmare was because of my pop and my ex wife....
I looked to my mom, "he's asked me to visit him before we leave on honeymoon..."
"Oh god, your not going are you?"
"to the cop station I am.... to see him no, I'm gonna tell the cops just what you have told me, as for my pop I aint got one, he's dead to me now..."

3 comments:

  1. Holy Crap!!!!!!!!! If Jon didn't talk to Carol he would of killed him! Carol really needed to have told Jon this sooner!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is cold hearted to do that to your own son.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hhhmmm... This never crossed my mind.....

    ReplyDelete