Wednesday 13 May 2015

Chapter Seventy Nine

My pop continued swaggering around the marquee, trying to engage the guests in his torrent of woe,  " well how would you feel being told you could not attend your sons wedding?"
no one answered, I tried again, but the gun was pointed directly at me...
"Don't son, please, don't make me shoot you.I swear all I wanted to do was come here today to wish you both well, and tell you how much you mean to me,"
his venom started again, but he had lowered his gun, "oh no, your ma spouts accusations about me, and without even giving me a hearing you believe her and toss me off.. why?, I am your father and I am entitled to respect too.." he took a swing of champagne and beat his chest to emphasize his point.
I tried to speak again, "look pop, you have your reasons and I have mine, but here and now is really not the time, please just go sit down, well talk later I promise"
"Talk later?, no son, I want to do my talking now... and I want it to be in front of witnesses... that way no one can twist what I say."
My pop was stood with his back to the marquee entrance, and behind him I saw Deyvren coming with the police. they entered quietly, and the cops made the way over to my pop and jumped him to the ground and then disarmed him. They read him his rights and in cuffs they dragged him from our wedding.
As the cops left a hush descended over the guests. I stood and spoke, "Ladies and gentlemen, everyone gets the asshole relative that cant take his drink at a celebration, please lets enjoy the meal..."
Mara touched my leg as I sat and chatter amongst the guest started. leaning in close Mara asked, " care to share about that?"
"Later ok, now is not the time..."
I could not believe that my wife gave me a stink eye, "really Mrs Bongiovi, did you just give me a stink eye?"
she laughed "maybe."
"well I think you deserve a spank or two for that."
"well later Mr Bongiovi, now is not the time for that."
My pops outburst was forgotten for the rest of the afternoon, and into the evening. We all danced and drank into the early hours, dancing with Mara, her arms draped around my neck, I lent down and whispered, "I will always love you Mara Bongiovi."
looking up at me she whispered, "I know" as the dance ended we announced to the compare that we would like to say good night.
He duly took his position on the stage and spoke to get the guests attention.
"Ladies and gentlemen, Mr & Mrs Bongiovi wish to say goodnight." with Mara holding my hand I led her to the centre of the stage, the boys were set up ready to play, I stood before the microphone. Holding Maras gaze I took the mic in my hands, then looking out into marquee and our guests I spoke, " I want to thank you all for sharing our special day, you have all made it as perfect as could be, but nothing could be more perfect than this lovely lady becoming my wife." I looked at Mara, she was looking right back at me, love poured from her liquid chocolate eyes, I carried on, so as a farewell to you, before we go and leave you with my band I wanted to sing just one song dedicated to my wife that I've wrote, boys?"
I dropped Maras hand as the boys started the intro.....
It's hard for me to say the things 
I want to say sometimes 
There's no one here but you and me
And that broken old street light

Lock the doors
We'll leave the world outside
All I've got to give to you
Are these five words tonight

Thank you for loving me
For being my eyes
When I couldn't see
For parting my lips
When I couldn't breathe
Thank you for loving me
Thank you for loving me

I never knew I had a dream
Until that dream was you
When I look into your eyes
The sky's a different blue

Cross my heart
I wear no disguise
If I tried, you'd make believe
That you believed my lies

Thank you for loving me
For being my eyes
When I couldn't see
For parting my lips
When I couldn't breathe
Thank you for loving me

You pick me up when I fall down
You ring the bell before they count me out
If I was drowning you would part the sea
And risk your own life to rescue me, yeah
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah

Lock the doors
We'll leave the world outside
All I've got to give to you
Are these five words tonight

Thank you for loving me
For being my eyes
When I couldn't see
You parted my lips
When I couldn't breathe
Thank you for loving me

When I couldn't fly
Oh, you gave me wings
You parted my lips
When I couldn't breathe
Thank you for loving me
Thank you for loving me
Thank you for loving me
Oh, for loving me

At the end of the song, Mara had tears in her eyes, our family and friends were clapping and cheering, and with a last address to the mic, I thanked everyone again as taking my wife's hand we left the stage and headed out the marquee past out guests to the main house. Ready to spend our first night together as Mr and Mrs Bongiovi..... 


2 comments:

  1. Oh that's so sweet! But would love to know what John Sr. has on Carol!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So thankful no one got hurt. Jon needs to speak with his dad and see what he has to say.

    ReplyDelete